Founded in 1861, the town of Wolcott is a thriving community. It is centrally located between Chicago and Indianapolis, just off of Interstate 65 on US 24 in White County, Indiana.
Many Victorian homes line the main street. The crown jewel is the Anson Wolcott home. This building is in the Italianate style and is on the National Register of Historical Homes. Built in the late 1800's, the home is open to the public and is used for many special occasions.
The annual 4th of July Celebration is held on the grounds of the Wolcott Home and the adjacent Town Park. The event starts on the evening of the 3rd of July with a dinner and the 4th is capped off by the best small town fireworks display in the state of Indiana.
The town has a strong agricultural base, but industry is well represented by Indiana Ribbon factory, Dwyer Instruments, Indiana Animal Health, San Juan Pools, Cives Steel, Tuthill Corp and Meadow LakeWind Farm.
Looking to start a business? Our robust Community Development Corporation (a joint effort with the Town of Remington) is here to support that. Retail space is currently available and Highway US 24 runs through the middle of town. And, if that's not enough potential traffic, we are only 4 miles from I-65.
The Town of Wolcott was founded by Anson Wolcott. Mr. Wolcott came to Princeton Township in 1858 and purchased over 3,300 acres of land. Three years later, he laid out and platted the town along the Pittsburgh, Chicago, and St. Louis Railroad. The streets were developed and were named: North, Johnson, Market, South, Anderson, and Scott Streets, all running east and west; and Range, Second, Third, and Fourth Streets, all running north and south.
With the Town of Wolcott being built along the railroad, buying and shipping corn became the main trade in the 1860’s. Wolcott and its surrounding areas soon became a prosperous farming community.
On May 3, 1873, the Wolcott community grew to such a size that its citizens decided to form its first governing agency – an incorporated village. Its first officers were: Noble Nordyke, W.H. Dyke, and A.S. Pattee, Trustees; C.A. Rayhouse, Clerk; James D. Sherman, Marshal; J.F.Warner, Treasurer; and James O. Johnson, Assessor. However, with being incorporated, the village could not receive government funding so in May of 1875, the incorporated village was dissolved.
In 1889, the Town of Wolcott was re-incorporated. The officers included Henry Magruder, President; T.J. Bunnell and E.J. Dibell, Trustees; E.B. Dibell, Clerk-Treasurer; and Walker Smelser, Marshal. From then on, the town grew and prospered.
As of the 2010 census, it is recorded that Wolcott’s population was 1001.